Leaders & Legends of Online Learning
015 Dr Wayne Holmes
Dr Wayne Holmes started as a teacher, film-maker and head of research for an education charity, before moving into academia. His interests in the learning sciences and innovation has led to him researching the application of AI in education and to critical reviews of how education might be enhanced. We talked in the Jennie Lee building at the Open University UK.
Interview: https://episodes.castos.com/onlinelearninglegends/015-Wayne-Holmes-Final.mp3 | recorded December 2018
Wayne's online profile: https://iet.open.ac.uk/people/wayne.holmes
Nominated works (free to access):
- Holmes, W., Anastopoulou S., Schaumburg, H. & Mavrikis, M. (2018). Technology-enhanced personalised learning: untangling the evidence. Stuttgart: Robert Bosch Stiftung.https://www.bosch-stiftung.de/en/publication/technology-enhanced-personalised-learning.
- Luckin, R., Holmes, W., Griffiths, M. & Forcier, L. B. (2016). Intelligence Unleashed. An argument for AI in Education. London: Pearson. https://www.pearson.com/content/dam/one-dot-com/one-dot-com/global/Files/about-pearson/innovation/Intelligence-Unleashed-Publication.pdf.
- Holmes, W. (2018). Artificial Intelligence and the Open University: the opportunity, the reality and the risks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6GKVusSnUQ.
Nominated works (may require purchase):
- Artificial Intelligence in Education. Promise and the Implications for Teaching and Learning. Holmes, Bialik and Fadel (forthcoming)
- Holmes, W. (2017). Digital-games based learning. Time to adoption: two to three years? In K. Sheehy & A. Holliman (Eds.), Education and New Technologies: Perils and Promises for Learners (pp. 196–212). London: Routledge.
- du Boulay, B., Poulovassilis, A., Holmes, W., & Mavrikis, M. (2018). What does the research say about how Artificial Intelligence and can Big Data close the achievement gap? In R. Luckin (Ed.), Enhancing Learning and Teaching with Technology (pp. 316–327). London: Institute of Education Press.
Brought to you by Leaders & Legends of Online Learning of Leaders & Legends of Online Learning