021 Dr David Porter
July 04, 2019
Dr David Porter is an advocate for internationally open educational resources and improving their reputation. He is well placed to do so, as CEO of eCampus Ontario. David talks of the opportunities and infrastructure available through eCampus Ontario in support of the development and uptake of OER.
Interview: https://episodes.castos.com/onlinelearninglegends/021-David-Porter-Final.mp3| recorded April 2019
David's profile: Dr. David Porter is the CEO of eCampusOntario, the primary face of the Ontario Online Learning Consortium (OOLC), a not-for-profit corporation whose membership is composed of all publicly funded colleges and universities in Ontario.
David is a long-time advocate for the benefits of adapting new technology to deliver educational opportunities, and has been involved in open and distance learning since the 1990s, at both the K-12 and higher education levels.
David was formerly Associate VP Educational Support and Innovation at the British Columbia Institute of Technology. Prior to that appointment, David was the Executive Director of BCcampus. During his term at BCcampus, David and his team engineered Canada’s first government funded open textbook program, a leading-edge development in higher education in 2012. David has also worked as a project leader and consultant for international open and distance learning projects, most recently in Mongolia, Malaysia, and Vietnam. He is a co-editor of the International Journal of eLearning and Distance Education (IJEDE.ca), an open access journal published on behalf of the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education (CNIE).
David's LinkedIn profile: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/davidaporter
Nominated links (free to access):
- Ontario eCampus home page: http://eCampusOntario.ca
- Open Library (OERs): http://openlibrary.ecampusontario.ca
- Open Library Publishing Platform: https://ecampusontario.pressbooks.pub/
- Open at Scale OER development: http://openatscale.ca
- Ontario Extend: http://extend.ecampusontario.ca
- Lopes, V., & Porter, D. (2018). Shifting perceptions, changing practice: Ontario Extend [Report]. eCampusOntario (Ontario Online Learning Consortium). https://www.ecampusontario.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/2018-01-11-shifting-perceptions-changing-practice-research-report-en-v1-1.pdf
- Student Experience Design (SXD) Lab: http://sxdlab.ecampusontario.ca
- eCampus Ontario publications and reports: https://www.ecampusontario.ca/publications-reports/
Twitter: @dendroglyph<<< Back to Leaders & Legends of Online Learning