Leaders & Legends of Online Learning
053 Sir John Daniel
Sir John Daniel has made a pivotal contribution to open, distance and online learning across his impressive career, which has to date included being Vice Chancellor of The Open University UK, Assistant Director-General for Education at UNESCO and President of the Commonwealth of Learning. Sir John’s insight and thinking is widely known for its clarity and practicality.
Interview: https://episodes.castos.com/onlinelearninglegends/053-Sir-John-Daniel-Final.mp3 | recorded January 2021
Sir John’s profile (also links to publications): https://sirjohn.ca/
Nominated links (mentioned in interview):
- Daniel, J. S & C. Marquis (1979). Independence and Interaction: Getting the Mixture Right. Teaching at a Distance, 14: 29-44. (Mark’s note: if you cannot source this article, there is an excellent blog post addressing how this work has been taken forward at https://altc.alt.ac.uk/blog/2012/02/getting-the-mix-right-once-again-a-peek-into-the-interaction-equivalency-theorem-and-interaction-design/).
- Daniel, J. S. (1996). Mega-universities and Knowledge Media: Technology Strategies for Higher Education, Kogan Page, London
- Daniel, J. S. (2012). Making Sense of MOOCs: Musings in a Maze of Myth, Paradox and Possibility. Journal of Interactive Media in Education, 2012(3), p. Art. 18. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5334/2012-18
- Daniel, J. S. (2020). COVID-19 – A Two-Week Transition from Campus to Online at the Acsenda School of Management, Canada, Journal of Learning for Development, 7(3): 264-278. https://jl4d.org/index.php/ejl4d/article/view/459/513
- Daniel, J. S. (2020). The Sequel to COVID-19: A Global Challenge to the Quality of Higher Education, in Pivotal Issues in Higher Education Development in Nigeria, University Press PLC, Ibadan. pp. 249-261. https://sirjohnca.files.wordpress.com/2021/01/covid_sequel.pdf
Sir John’s contact details and links to multiple presentations and articles are freely available from https://sirjohn.ca/.
Brought to you by Leaders & Legends of Online Learning of Leaders & Legends of Online Learning